Sunday, September 11, 2011

Oil Field Jobs?

The Anchorage Daily News (no clever nickname) reported a few days ago our state senators were looking into why Alaskans weren't getting hired on The Slope at a rate we'd expect. I have a few friends around these parts who've been trying to get in on the action up there but to no avail. I've wondered the same thing for years so I'm glad our reps are doin' work on why the locals aren't. But it isn't that I'm so strongly in favor of getting my peeps employed up there as it is keeping Texans out. For every Alaskan hired means one jackarse redneck from the Lone Star state isn't and that's good enough for me. Had we adopted a ban on cowboy roughnecks and alike there would be no Wasilla today. What a wonderful world it would. 

As for the homies who get a job and then promptly move out of state for their two weeks off I say they earned it. Go with your bad self. Tan. Eat fresh produce every single day. See people wearing skirts. Wear one yourself. Its OK. What if we all snowbirded? Say Alaska was a state from April to October and a territory the rest of the year with lower drinking ages and you could ride a four wheeler in downtown Juneau during that time. Just savage the hell out in the dark. Awesome. Let's make it happen, Parnell.

1 comment:

  1. El Sandinista!, my buddy Dingo Dave related this thought to me: "I like that idea! Remember this bumper sticker from the pipeline days? "Happiness is an Okie headed South with a Texan under each arm." -- Ish

    I think this needs to be on our license plates.

    ReplyDelete