Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top 20 Seattle Bars

As you may have noticed and most likely did not care I put off my snowbird adventures another month to stay perched on my Rock. This must have angered those at the Seattle PI website so they countered with a Top 20 Bars in Seattle list. Bastards. Going right after my heart. But this wasn't really the best all round but the tops in 20 categories, or 19. I've been to seven: 

Brouwers: This was their best beer bar and that's hard to argue since they have a half zillion bottles from Germany, Belgium, and the Pacific Northwest. Fairly hidden in Fremont I've been once and was put off by the beer snobbery and snootiness although it is really nice set up for deez eyeballz. Less attitude, please. If I go back I'm going to make up a beer and berate them for not having it.

The Tractor Tavern: I'm 40 and not really into the whole local band thing anymore if I really ever was. The PI made this the top music/band bar and I wouldn't argue with that but its not exactly well set up for chit chat if I recall. Haven't been there in ages and really it serves no purpose for my old arse.

The Viking Tavern: Also in Ballard is the Viking Tavern that I hit with my Seatown drinking partner DHM before I returned. I liked it but it is off the main drag so wasn't set up for my walking bar tours. Sadly I don't remember why I liked it, just that I did. 

The Grizzled Wizard: Tagged as the best bar you've never heard of I've heard of. Hells, I've been there on the recommendation of the bartender at Sea Monster. The service was great and the crowd was f-wording weird. Good weird. Plus they had cheap beer. This article has a knack for places I've only been to once. The Wizard can be found on 45th in Wallingford not too far from Dick's. 

The Matador: Been here a few times and not for tequila as the dot com suggests it for. Its all about the late night happy hour with nachos as big as El Chicanos but for a third of the price. The bartender was sickened by my ability to eat a whole plate by myself at midnight. Lots of hotties there at all hours of the day. 

George and Dragon: The nod for best bloody pub goes to this soccer hotspot in Fremont. It's always crowded when I've been and not necessarily when the Sounders are playing. Decent grub, decent drinks, not too many wankers.

Wildrose: Last of the bunch I've been to is the Wildrose, selected as best lesbian bar in my adopted city. Why was a there? They had beer. Did I feel unwelcome? Yes. It took me a while to win over the other customers and left as soon as I did. I'd go back if I have my Libyan 24 virgin security detail in tow.

Not sure why they didn't have a best dive bar pick but perhaps that's for when they really want to kick me in the jimmy. I promised The Cheesehead Princess at Tony's I'd put together a Seattle bar guide for her before she goes down there and will post it here for all to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment